Tuesday, November 23, 2010

NZ Adventure - Day 15

Christmas Eve this year is going to have nothing on this day. I've run my errands, with a silly grin on my face and taking time to look at and enjoy all the faces that around me. In a matter of hours, they will be boarding a plane to come home. They have a long flight, and I'm sure our hours will also feel long as we make the trip to Boston to wait for them. We can't wait. I can't wait.

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.   Phillipians 4:5

Ironic, that I had assigned this verse to today. In my excitement I am edgy, irritable, everything but gentle. And of course the kids are excited, and express their excitement - like kids.

Looking at the verse, thinking about the context of it, trying not to get too irritated with the writer (Paul often irritates me), I wonder if I could get away with rephrasing it this way: "Let gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near." Just taking out the 'your'.

Cause when I try to make my gentleness evident, well, it's just not there. But when I breathe deep and remember that the Lord is near, then I am able to make evident a gentleness that is not my own, but something that happens when I hold His hand.

No comments: