Friday, November 04, 2011

16 years ago....

My friend Renee, who blogs at FIMBY, mentioned recently that she was getting ready to read A Circle of Quiet, by Madeleine L'Engle. L'Engle is probably my very favorite author. I have a very fond feeling toward this book. So I picked up my copy and began reading it again.

The first time I read this book was 16 years ago. I had been married all of two months to someone I had not yet known for a year. This book, actually the whole Crosswicks Journal series, helped me survive a very hard first few years of marriage. That was what I remember about this book.



Today, I read what may have been the Key for my young heart to not running away to Australia 16 years ago; and it is astonishing to me that this passage still gives me the same grace and hope and love for my marriage that it did all those years ago.


"When we were married we made promises, and we took them seriously. No relationship between two people which is worth anything is static. If a man and wife tell me they've never had a quarrel, I suspect that something is festering under the skin. There've been number of time in my marriage when - if I hadn't made promises - I'd have quit. I'm sure this is equally true of Hugh; I'm not an easy person to live with. 
I'm quite sure that Hugh and I would never have reached the relationship we have today if we hadn't made promises. Perhaps we made them youthfully, and blindly, no knowing all that was implied; but the very promises have been saving grace." 
M. L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet (p107 in my book)




2 comments:

Renee @ FIMBY said...

Emily, I love this book so much I asked for it for my birthday (coming up soon) so I could have my own copy to underline and write in the margins. I'm only on page 30 for all the copying of passages I've been doing in my journal.

Do you recall the passage early on, page 30 in my book, where she talks about mirrors (not related to marriage - but writing and motherhood and homemaking) Love, love.

Anyway, you were one of the first places I saw this book recommended. Maybe goodreads?

Emily said...

I don't know if I recommended it or not.... but I really like knowing that I'm sharing some more reading with you. :) (will look at page 30ish later)