Saturday, June 09, 2007

A - Guilty Pleasures

(Guilty Pleasures is my alphabetic summer jaunt through fiction at my favorite library.)

My first attempt at reading fiction through the alphabet - Baseball Cat by Garrison Allen - has been an exercise in... well, an exercise. I'll take responsibility for reading at hours when I'm not the most awake. But I really don't think this a good book. It's a mystery, which I usually love, and lose myself in quickly. But I'm nearly halfway through, and frankly I don't even care 'who-dun-it'. And then there is all this misplaced sexual .... frustration? It's almost as though Allen was trying to combine two genre's in a way that just doesn't work.

So I've been laboring through this book. I alternately think 'I have to finish this book - it's part of my 'guilty pleasures series' and then thinking... 'this sucks, I don't want to finish it.' So today I'm deciding to not be a slave to my own legalism. I'm going to return this book to the library, and move onto B.