Sunday, September 23, 2007

F - Guilty Pleasures


(Guilty Pleasures is my alphabetic jaunt through fiction at my favorite library.)

It has been years since I watched the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, and a friend of mine and I have been talking about watching it again. When I found Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg, on the "F" shelf at Waterville Public Library, I thought it would be a fun read. And I was right. It was a quick and pleasant read.

AS it is with most books become movies, the story was way more developed. There were more side-stories, and Flagg has a couple of wonderful mini-essays about language that values and devalues women. As Evelyn has her mid-life crisis and defines who she is going to become, she considers what she has been told about women.

Really spunky and fun.

Now I'm ready to watch the movie.

No comments: