Thursday, May 24, 2007

What I do is REAL

computer.jpg

On Saturday, Marc and I culminated months of concern and frustration and discussion with the purchase of a new computer for me. When I brought it up, I sort of thought it was in passing, and sort of felt more serious about it than I had felt before. When Marc received my suggestion with not only open-ness but also enthusiasm, I found myself in a strange conundrum.

I wanted to receive the gift, but also wanted to talk him out of it. Surely there are a million ways to spend money that a computer requires that are more important than what I use a co mputer for.

And then I realized that that was exactly what Marc was saying. That what I do is important enough to make the investment in a reliable and up-to-date computer. That my day to day work is important and real, and worthy of the best tools. I'm still trying to get my head around it. But now everytime I put my new computer on my lap, I have a firm reminder that my work is Real.

Thank you, Marc.

No comments: