Sunday, August 16, 2009

The perfect storm at the end of summer


The kids and I took a trip to our municipal pool today. We have an AMAZING public pool with something for every level of water lover, including water slides. As I sat and watched my girls play on the 'frog slide' in a pool that might be two feet deep, I noticed how bored our lifeguards were. And in a larger swimming pool, I watched a lifeguard give a boy-friend (or boy-friend to be) full attention for nearly five minutes.

I have compassion for these high-school/college age lifeguards. What a boring job. Yes, they know it is full of responsibility, and have been very carefully trained. But what a job, on such a hot day, at the end of a long summer.

At the same time, I enjoyed the confidence of my kids after a summer of pool play. All of us were certain of our safety and ability.

At the same time, we are fatigued. We have played hard all summer, breaking routines, eating poorly, staying up late.

At the same time, we are gearing up for school. Our home is full of conversation and preparation for a new year of school.

Can you see the perfect storm?

It dawned on me that these are the ingredients for accidents. Everyone mixing their confidence, summer fatigue, and new school year quivers.

This isn't just happening in my universe, is it?

End of the summer is one of the happiest and most exciting times of the year. Let's stay diligent in our families so that no accident will steal that away.

1 comment:

renee @ FIMBY said...

Good reminder. I"m dealing with a perfect storm of my own. Preparing for new tenants, a husband who wants to hike -farther and higher, the so-called end of summer, the wrap up of our school year and getting the portfolio ready, the beginning of a new year, our first backpacking trip next weekend - ah!! talk about a storm baby.